Republican incumbent Marsha Haefner defeated Democratic challenger Joe Zelle for the Missouri House of Representatives seat in the 95th district, which represents Oakville. With 93 percent of precincts reporting, Haefner lead the vote Tuesday night with 60 percent.
"It all comes down to, I'm willing to do the work and leave the politics out of it," Haefner said. "I think the constituency I represent recognizes that I'm not about party. I'm about principal.
Haefner was one of the few Republican victories in a night where President Barack Obama and Sen. Claire McCaskill—along with other prominent Democrats—won re-election.
"It's been a rough night for Republicans, especially in St. Louis County," Haefner said.
Haefner's new term starts tomorrow with a trip for house representatives to Jefferson City.
"Some of my dear friends will not be there with me," Haefner said, refering to fellow Republicans who lost their bids for the Missouri House.
"I'm going to be positive and continue to do what I can to keep the state moving forward."
Tuesday night, Haefner and her supporters met at Smugala's Pizza, gathered around laptops and under TVs.
"I did everything I could do," Haefner said about the election. "Now it's up to the voters to decide."
Haefner said she made a "concerted effort" to keep her campaign positive.
"I think people need to know who I am and what they're going to get," she said. "I don't sugar coat anything."
Zelle joined the South County Democrats at the watch party at Genesis Banquet Center and said Tuesday was "a long, hard day."
Zelle said he visited the 16 polling places in his district about five times each, passing out coffee and rolls.
Haefner has represented Oakville for the last two years.
See More on Patch
- Election Results: Trakas, Felton Win School Board Race
- Who's Donating to the Klund, Ryan Campaigns for Mehlville Fire Board?
- Larry Felton for Mehlville Board of Education
- Lori Trakas for Mehlville Board of Education
- Mehlville-Oakville Election: Submit Your Questions for School Board, Fire Board Candidates
Most Popular articles
- Army of Neighbors Turned Back Walmart, Organizer Says
- Veterans Group Hoping for Jefferson Barracks Cemetery Expansion
- With Home Values Down, Property Taxes Could Jump in Mehlville School District
- $1 Million Powerball Ticket Sold at Oakville Liquor Store
- Mehlville Man Sexually Assaulted 9-Year-Old Girl, Police Say